Dr Oliver Brain
Dr Oliver Brain is a leading specialist in gastroenterology in Oxford. He is a Consultant Gastroenterologist at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust, and Nuffield Health The Manor Hospital, Oxford. Dr Brain is a knowledgeable and empathetic physician. He will listen carefully to your problems and is a first-class diagnostician, ensuring that you will receive an outstanding holistic service. He is a skilled endoscopist for both upper (OGD) and lower (colonoscopy) gastrointestinal procedures.
Dr Brain completed his clinical training at St Bart’s and The Royal London Medical School in 2000. His postgraduate training in Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine was at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford. His immunology research training and DPhil into the function of Crohn’s disease susceptibility genes was undertaken at the Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine and Translational Gastroenterology Unit (TGU) in Oxford.
Dr Brain is a leading Gastroenterologist in the TGU, Oxford University Hospitals and has a practice encompassing all aspects of gastroenterology. He has a subspecialist interest in Inflammatory Bowel Disease, and has developed and runs a virtual anti-TNF clinic to optimize the use of biologic medication. Dr Brain runs an active research programme into the mechanisms of gastrointestinal inflammation including the pathogenesis of cancer immunotherapy-induced enterocolitis. He is also the primary investigator (PI) for clinical trials for new treatments. He has published more than 40 articles in peer-reviewed journals and textbooks in the field of gastroenterology. Dr Brain is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, and a member of both the British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) and the European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation (ECCO). He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer with Oxford University and contributes regular University teaching sessions, as well as lecturing nationally and internationally. He is on the specialist register with the General Medical Council (GMC), and is accredited with all major UK health insurers.
- Organisational changes and challenges for inflammatory bowel disease services in the UK during the COVID-19 pandemic. Kennedy NA, Hansen R, Younge L, Mawdsley J, Beattie RM, Din S, Lamb CA, Smith PJ, Selinger C, Limdi J, Iqbal TH, Lobo A, Cooney R, Brain O, Gaya DR, Murray C, Pollok R, Kent A, Raine T, Bhala N, Lindsay JO, Irving PM, Lees CW, Sebastian S. Frontline Gastroenterol. 2020 Jun 16;11(5):343-350
- Single-cell atlas of colonic CD8+ T cells in ulcerative colitis. Corridoni D, Antanaviciute A, Gupta T, Fawkner-Corbett D, Aulicino A, Jagielowicz M, Parikh K, Repapi E, Taylor S, Ishikawa D, Hatano R, Yamada T, Xin W, Slawinski H, Bowden R, Napolitani G, Brain O, Morimoto C, Koohy H, Simmons A. Nat Med. 2020 Sep;26(9):1480-1490
- Therapeutic decisions in inflammatory bowel disease in the SARS-Cov-2 pandemic. Brain O, Satsangi J. Gastroenterology. 2020 Jun 15:S0016-5085(20)34775-2
- British Society of Gastroenterology endorsed guidance for the management of immune checkpoint inhibitor-induced enterocolitis. Powell N, Ibraheim H, Raine T, Speight RA, Papa S, Brain O, Green M, Samaan MA, Spain L, Yousaf N, Hunter N, Eldridge L, Pavlidis P, Irving P, Hayee B, Turajlic S, Larkin J, Lindsay JO, Gore M. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Jul;5(7):679-697
- Immune checkpoint inhibitor-related colitis assessment and prognosis: can IBD scoring point the way? Cheung VTF, Gupta T, Olsson-Brown A, Subramanian S, Sasson SC, Heseltine J, Fryer E, Collantes E, Sacco JJ, Pirmohamed M, Simmons A, Klenerman P, Tuthill M, Protheroe AS, Chitnis M, Fairfax BP, Payne MJ, Middleton MR, Brain O. Br J Cancer. 2020 Jul;123(2):207-215.
- Effectiveness and safety of vedolizumab in inflammatory bowel disease patients aged 60 and over: an observational multicenter UK experience. Ibraheim H, Samaan MA, Srinivasan A,Brain O, Digby-Bell J, Irving PM, Norman I, Jawad I, Biedermann J, Ibarra A, Kok KB, Parkes G, Rimmer J, Compot E, Parkes M, Segal J, Oppong P, Hart A, Hayee B, Powell N. Ann Gastroenterol. 2020 Mar-Apr;33(2):170-177.
- Another case of Reflux Esophagitis? Chapman TP, Tandon R, Brain O. Gastroenterology. 2019 Aug;157(2):309-310
- Anorexi, vomiting and weight loss in a 22-year-old woman. Cheung VTF, Fryer E, Payne MJ, Brain O. Gut. 2019 May;68(5):803-927
- Beyond endoscopic mucosal healing in UC: histological remission better predicts corticosteroid use and hospitalisation over 6 years of follow-up. Bryant RV, Burger DC, Delo J, Walsh AJ, Thomas S, von Herbay A, Buchel OC, White L, Brain O, Keshav S, Warren BF, Travis SP. Gut. 2016 Mar;65(3):408-14
- The intracellular sensor NOD2 induces microRNA-29 expression in human dendritic cells to limit IL-23 release. Brain O, Owens BM, Pichulik T, Allan P, Khatamzas E, Leslie A, Steevels T, Sharma S, Mayer A, Catuneanu AM, Morton V, Sun MY, Jewell D, Coccia M, Harrison O, Maloy K, Schönefeldt S, Bornschein S, Liston A, Simmons A. Immunity. 2013 Sep 19;39(3):521-36.